SNOW IN TROMSO
Helping you to discover and get the most out of the Nordics - whether you'd like to explore Arctic wilderness or spend a weekend getting to know the Scandi way of life!
Heia! My name is Vanessa and I'm deeply in love with the North!
Originally from Germany, I've spent 3 years living in Tromsø in Northern Norway to pursue my Bachelor and Master in Northern & Indigenous Studies. Last year, I moved to Stavanger on Norway's west coast where I'm now working as a tour guide.
I love exploring what the Nordics - and especially the Arctic - have to offer and so far, have made my way to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and even Greenland.
As much as I love the North though, I'm not a fan of romanticising the region and thus, am keeping it real on Snow in Tromso. What you can expect from this space is therefore no BS travel advice and honest expat anectodes - usually once or twice a week on the blog and every other week on Youtube!
If you're a new reader, scroll down to read all about how I ended up living in Norway, and browse my blog for more information and stories from the Nordics.
You can also follow along on social media to get a better glimpse of life up North, and come travelling around the Nordics with me:
What others say about Snow in Tromso:
The Background Story
I'm from a small town in Germany and have always dreamt about moving to Scandinavia. I spent three years learning Swedish during undergrad studies and embarked on my first solo trip to the North right after graduation. I spent a month volunteering at a guest house in the northernmost village of Europe, visited the North Cape and came to Tromsø for the first time.
In August 2014, I then made the move to the Arctic. I studied Northern and Indigenous Studies and in 2015 got the chance to visit Greenland and Iceland for my fieldwork, as well as spending a month in Copenhagen - my favourite city in the Nordics!
I also fell in love during my studies. My boyfriend Simon is half-Norwegian, half-Swedish and 100% Sami.
After 3 years in Tromsø, it was time for a change and I've decided to embark on another adventure, together with Simon this time, so... we just moved to Stavanger in Southern Norway!
Do you want to explore the region with me?
Fun Facts about me
- My boyfriend Simon is half-Norwegian and half-Swedish and comes from a reindeer herding Sami family. We switch between speaking Norwegian, English and German every day
- I hold a BA in English Literature, Culture and Media, as well as Northern Studies and Social Science.
I also graduated UiT - The Arctic University of Norway with an MPhil in Indigenous Studies in 2016
- I wrote my MPhil thesis on Inuit culture in museums and art institutions in Greenland and Denmark
- I overcame my fear of flying on a tiny plane crossing the North Atlantic between Iceland and Greenland and was totally afraid of dying on the ice cap before going on that trip...
- My favourite Nordic country is Greenland and my favourite Nordic city is Copenhagen
- My favourite season in the Arctic is late winter/early spring when the sun is back for good
- I work with digital marketing and have a passion for writing, photography and videography - and can also be hired to help you with content creation and marketing!